e understand education because we’re educators and we’ve been doing this since 1991. Our admissions experts have spent decades as teachers and college counselors, investing their lives in helping their students succeed. As a branch of Bennett International Education Consultancy, Bennett College Consulting is dedicated to supporting students with college and university applications. With offices in Philadelphia and New York, and a team of consultants around the world, we have served hundreds of students interested in attending college in the U.S. and elsewhere.
Unlike many college consulting firms, Bennett also offers an understanding of the curricula and culture of education systems around the world, and this enables us to support students from all kinds of backgrounds.
We honor the respect and the trust that our student clients and their families place in us, and we’re dedicated to helping them identify and gain admission to institutions that will be the best fit for them academically, socially, and culturally. We believe in the uniqueness of each student and are committed to providing professional and personalized guidance to each one we serve.
We also offer comprehensive and extended support, providing expert guidance for one full admission cycle. We’ll typically start working together after the first marking period in the junior year of high school. The student is supported by their Bennett consultant all the way through to the acceptance of an offer of college admission. The service includes:
• Discussion of overall education goals.
• Review of the student’s candidacy for multiple programs through assessment of academic records and standardized testing results.
• Explanation and recommendation of further standardized testing options.
• Discussion and recommendation of specific college and university programs.
• Explanation of the financial aid process and deadlines, including merit versus need-based options.
• Guidance on selecting the right courses for the remainder of high school that will make a compelling college application.
• Preparation for campus visits and interviews whether in person or virtual.
• Discussion after campus visits and interviews and formulation of next steps.
• Support in the creation of a final lineup of programs to which the student will apply, (typically organized into “Reach,” “Target” and “Safety” categories).
• Advice regarding early decision, early action, and rolling admissions options.
• Essay writing guidance.
• Decision counseling after offers of admission have been received.
Our College Consultation is useful if you’re planning to manage your own college search and application process and would like the assurance of an expert that your list of colleges is appropriate and that you fully understand all aspects of the application process. It best serves students who work well independently or respond well to parental assistance and is not the best service for those of you who would enjoy more ongoing support as you write your personal statement and complete applications. This service includes:
• A two-hour meeting (typically online); discussion usually includes topics such as application timelines, testing, financial aid, recommendation letters, student “resumé,” extracurriculars, interviews, and the role of long and short essays.
• An assessment of your academic record and standardized testing.
• A written summary report of the meeting, including a “to-do” list.
• A testing strategy.
• A customized list of recommended colleges & universities, organized as “reach,” “target” and “likely” options.
• An explanation of deadlines (e.g. ED, EA, Regular), including those for financial aid.
• A follow-up discussion of our suggestions and an opportunity to address questions generated by the report.
The personal essay is a key piece of the college application – it’s where you tell the world about yourself. Not always an easy task, right? We understand. So we take the stress out of the process and turn it into a powerful opportunity for self-reflection and expression. The results won’t just show who you are, they’ll communicate the unique value you bring as an individual.
Our decades of experience take the mystery out of the process. Here’s how it works:
• Together, we’ll discuss possible topics to write about and help you hone your ideas
• We’ll guide you on how to begin the writing process
• Then, we’ll stay by your side all the way through: helping you as you organize your thoughts, choose your tone and vocabulary, and create working drafts on which to build
• By the time you’ve finished, you will have conveyed clearly and powerfully what you wanted to say.
Want to get an early start? Let’s do it! Our College Application Workshop is for students who’d like to complete as much of their college application as possible before their last year of high school begins.
Whether you attend the workshop in person or virtually, we’ll guide you through completion of the Common Application based on your personal goals and preferences. By the end of the workshop, you’ll have written a reflective college essay, created a focused list of your activities, and completed the personal and academic information the application requires.
And of course, we’ll give you (just a little bit) of homework! You’ll get a detailed “to do” list that will guide you through the remainder of the application submission process.
“My son loved the College Application Workshop! It helped him understand and gain confidence in the college application process and enabled him to pretty much complete his common application. He came home after the first day and thanked my husband and me for signing him up! All of it was helpful – guidance with the personal statement, direction on filling out the common application, and strategies to applying to colleges.”
“Thank you again to our Bennett college consultants for their continuous support, advice, and encouragement during this quite stressful process! You made it so much easier to get through and in the end, our son got some really great university choices. It was all worth it – from guiding us on how to fill in the Common App, how to write the personal essay and additional essays requested by various universities, the recommendations of universities to apply to based on student personality and study objectives, the follow up with admission officers and additional requirements – to keeping track of deadlines and making sure all requirements were met and fulfilled ahead of deadlines.”
“Very helpful with our first child going through the SATs and college application process. The individual coaching helped to boost our daughter’s self-confidence with the college prep and application process. Also, your consultants provided my wife and me with a sense of relief as a result of your guidance.”
“Our consultant’s knowledge and flexibility were extremely helpful, and have given me complete confidence in my college application. She did a really good job with overall management, her guidance of the process, and help with the common application essay.”